Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Gingerbread Houses

Last year Lizzie decorated her first gingerbread house. It's amazing what they remember because when the decorations started going up, she started asking when she got to decorate another house. Well last year it was a little treat for just her, so I cheated and bought one of those kits. This year I wasn't going to pay $20+ to get 2 kits, because if Lizzie had one, Clay would want one. So I made it into our family home evening activity. I had toyed with the idea of making my own gingerbread, cutting the pieces out and baking them. But then I came back to reality and realized I didn't want to do that especially with a baby that can crawl up the stairs now and is constantly at my feet. So I bought some gingerbread flavored graham crackers. When I was a kid I remember one year we built houses using melted sugar instead of frosting. Well I tried that and apparently melting sugar is a lot harder than it looks. So, I had to resort to frosting. I knew it would be easier if I built the houses while Lizzie was at school, that way they would be set and sturdy by the time we put candy all over them. Well I had a hard time with that stupid frosting, and there were a few times when I seriously almost went and got my hot glue gun. I finally got the hang of it on houses 3 and 4 though! It was a labor of love, but when I saw how much the kids enjoyed it the entire afternoon full of frustration was worth it.

Clay was so patient waiting for me to get things set up and clean up dinner. Clay and James got to decorate the first house that was my learning process. I put a big on glob of frosting on the cardboard and told James to spread it around for some snow in the "yard". Before James got to it though Clay started helping himself and was putting candy everywhere.

Grandma was able to join us too. We missed Grandpa who was in Wendover refereeing some basketball games. I know Dad would have got a kick out of Clay. That kid was so excited he never stopped talking. And when he gets excited he talks really fast and then you can hardly understand him.





Analyn wanted to see what was going on of course, and as long as I kept some snacks coming her way she was content to just watch on the sidelines.

Clay decided that Mater and McQueen needed to be involved too. I'm sure if we had let him he would have brought up Handy Manny too. James was incredibly patient with Clay, glad he volunteered to help him. Clay was so proud of their house.

Mom and her house. Analyn only gets fussy when Grandma or I aren't doing anything. She then wants to be held.

Grandma gave her a taste of a candy cane. At first we though she liked it, but then she made a funny face and dropped it onto the bar.

Me and my house

Lizzie always takes the longest when we do a project like this. I finally had to time her because it was way past her bedtime. She's a perfectionist and of course she wouldn't let anyone help her at all.

And Lizzie with her house.

Close up of Lizzie's. She liked my idea of making a heart with the candy canes. She had a hard time with the frosting though to decorate anything else on the house, but wouldn't let us help her.

The boys' house. James said Clay's little clump of stuff on the left makes him think that their house is a redneck house (you'd have to be a Jeff Foxworthy fan to get it).

Close up on mine
And Grandma's house.
The kids had a blast, and Clay is trying to be sneaky and get candy off the houses now.

1 comments:

Diana Alm said...

hi jenny how r u? you look really pretty in the picture of you=) your kids are so cute. i remember when you were not even married yet! and we were working at teh best place in the world! ha ha ha...hope you have happy holidays jenny!!